Wednesday, August 13, 2014

News Curator: He was always Mork to me

When every day’s news is filled with reports of murders or war atrocities, I never understand why I should be uniquely saddened when a famous person passes away. It sounds heartless, but I find that their absence doesn’t affect my life in any significant way. That’s why I’m usually left confused by the rituals of communal grief that consume television and social media in the wake of a celebrity’s passing.

But then Robin Williams took his own life, and I felt it far more deeply than I had any right to.

I wasn’t alone. Tributes began pouring in almost immediately from all over, and everyone was recalling their favorite Robin Williams moments. Was “Good morning, Vietnam!” the first quote that came to mind, or was it “O Captain, my Captain"? Will you remember him as Aladdin’s Genie or Mrs. Doubtfire? And did you find yourself putting your hand into a sideways Vulcan salute and saying “Nanu nanu”?

See, that’s what I did. Because Robin Williams was many things to many people, but he will always be Mork to me.

 Read here: Deseret News.

No comments:

Post a Comment